Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Otis' 6th Birthday Week


Otis was a really lucky boy this year.  He had a birthday week with two birthday parties and a birthday dinner.

The first party we invited our family and friends to celebrate with us.  I forgot to get the camera out for this party and almost didn't remember for the next. There was way to much food thanks to Pinterest and nonna.  My favorite discovery was Fried Bocconcini, Yummy!!!


One of my favorite moments from this party was at cake time.  Nonna was trying to get his attention and said "Otis you have to come over and make a birthday wish."  He then pipes in "I already did I wished I was a superhero."  to add to the story I later was recounting it to someone and he corrects me to say "I didn't wish I was a superhero.  I was a superhero!"  While striking a superhero pose.  Amazing!


His actual birthday was on a Tuesday.  We have made it a tradition that on your birthday you can eat whatever it is you want for dinner.  Otis had requested we go out for chicken wings.  Both kids had a fever, Otis was determined to go out for wings.  Nanny was down for the week so she watched Marlo so we could have a nice dinner out.  He had a blast we drew all over the table and took pictures of course.  The servers brought out ice cream and sang him happy birthday.  After dinner we had a surprise for him.  Nanny had given him birthday money for him to go shopping.  He had no idea until we got to the store.  He got to pick out all kinds of things.  He did a really good job figuring out how to best spend his money and get a variety of things.


At the second party we invited his friends to come over and play.  Last year Otis was not able to invite anyone from school as we were in Niagara for the passing of Big Nonno and could not get any invites out in time.  This year he invited way to many friends we had 22 kids including Otis running around in and out.  Thank goodness the weather was nice and they were able to be outside. I have no idea what we would have done if they all had to play in our house.  I spent a fare bit of time stressing over the weather.  It would have never worked if it was raining.


This years choice of themes was Star Wars.   I made up an invitation and had it printed at Staples as my printer decided to break.  Other then that I had so many ideas, yet I felt there were just to many kids to really plan anything.  Plus I just didn't want to spend a fortune.  8 Star Wars plates were $5 just to be thrown in the garbage.




I managed to find a Starwars back drop to use as the main decor and then added blue and white balloons, plates, tablecloth and cups.  Most of the boys that have Starwars shirts wore them.  It was so cute.


Last but not least cupcakes were in order as I needed to make both gluten and gluten free cupcakes as there were 6 kids with dietary restrictions.  I bought a pack of sticker and made my own cupcake toppers.  We even had a digital candle.  I had no idea there was such a thing.  Is there really even a need for one?


Happy 6th Birthday my big boy.  I love you!!!

No comments: