Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sushi Birthday Party


Just before Christmas I had asked Otis if he had wanted a rocket birthday or a sushi birthday.  He chose a sushi birthday.  Just to be sure I would ask him regularly what kind of a birthday party he was going to have and he would answer a sushi birthday.


This year I decided to have a party just for Otis and for go our Annual Family Birthday Event #4.  I just didn't have it in me.  I guess it was best as I was bed ridden for almost two days with a bug afterwards.


I tried to make a large sampling of food as I knew not everyone would like sushi.
Jaz made deviled eggs, My father in law brought cheeses and my mom brought home made spring rolls from a lady she works with.  To add to the theme I steamed up some edamame. I made mostly vegetarian and crab based maki. There really wasn't anything to be afraid of for those who have never had sushi.  I even got my dad to eat sushi and he said it was OK.


The kids seemed to have a good time.  For the most part you couldn't tell there were six kids in the house.  Otis had all of them downstairs watching him play video games.  We had a marching band go through the living room with many drums and a guitar. They all played really well with each other. Most of them did not know each other, they only knew Otis.


Otis' cake this year was Cupcakes made to look like sushi.  I borrowed a steam basked from Jasmine and put the cupcakes in it.  I used white candy sprinkles for the rice, red sugar for roe and black licorice as the nori(seaweed) and of course you can't forget the fish.


Then came the presents.  Otis received some very amazing gifts this year.  Nanny bought him a netbook.  He is one very lucky boy and we are thankful for everything that was given to him.  Dave and I were at a loss on what to get the boy that has everything.

(Emily is wearing the skirt I made her.  I love seeing the things I make being used)  

We finally decided to get him a hodge podge of things.  Every holiday and birthday I try to make sure to get him a book.  This year I found three at the warehouse sale.  Dave picked up a cover for his DS.  We got him a pair of Pirate rain boots since he has outgrown the frog boots he wore for almost two years. I can't forget the wheel barrel.  It is proudly in our back yard with a bunch of dirt in it.  I love how it is a miniature version of an adult wheel barrel


 I also try to make him something as often as I can.  I made him a car wallet (pictured above). I just need to finish a few things on it.  It will be great for restaurants and sleepovers etc.


I ordered Sushi Printed Fabric from luckykaerufabric on Etsy. I cut out pieces of sushi and used it on the table cloth and on the Favour boxes.  I also made a little gift for each kid out of the sushi fabric.  More on them later.


I have been saving these Takeout boxes for almost 4 years.  Good friends of ours gave these boxes with CFL light bulbs in them as wedding favours.  At the end of the night they had so many left over we ended up with a stash of light bulbs and take out boxes.  I knew I would find a use for them some day.


I was going to order these chopsticks online but the shipping to Canada was way to much for me to justify.  Luckily I can across these clothespin chopsticks in town.  I love when a plan comes together.


This is how Otis fell asleep that night.  I think he had fun at his birthday party.

Happy Birthday my little boy.

No comments: