Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Pumpkin Day


Pumpkin Song

I'm a little pumpkin
Orange and round.
Here is my stem,
There is the ground.
When I get all cut up,
Don't you shout!
Just open me up
And scoop me out!

We finally made it. I have never been to a pumpkin patch to pick my own pumpkin before and I wanted to be able to go this year. It was Dave's last day of vacation and I am sure he didn't want to spend it at a pumpkin farm. We packed up Otis and off we went. I was bursting with excitement.


On the way there Dave asked me what the obsession with pumpkins is about. I couldn't give him an answer. I've thought about it a bit and I just love pumpkins. We had a lot of them at our wedding. The seating cards for the guest, The table numbers were pumpkins and I had my dad grow pumpkins in his garden to be placed around the barn. It was beautiful.

I guess pumpkins are a sign that my favorite time of year is here. The day after labour day I had Otis in his little pumpkin hat. He has worn it everytime we have gone out since then.


Well enough about my pumpkin obsession, let talk about the farm. We went to a family farm about a ten minute drive from our place. It was great, they had many animals for the the kids to look at, a corn maze, a large feild where you could pick your own, a play ground for kids to play on and don't forget the huge selection of pumpkins.

In the end I only left with two pumpkins. You just wait til I have an outside space to put them. Right now our two little pumpkins are sitting on the window sill looking very bright and orange. One of the pumpkins is for eating. I am going to make Otis some puree and keep some to try pumpkin smoothies or bread. I will have to see how much puree I get. MMMMMM and pumkin seeds I almost forgot.



No comments: