Monday, September 26, 2011

Days 28 thru 31 - OH Happy Days

Wow we have been living this life for four weeks now.  Marlo will be one month old tomorrow.  Are you all wondering if she has pooed yet?  The answer is yes of course.  She had her first little poo Thursday evening and has been "stooling" as they say ever since.  As of this evening the results of the poo test have not come back.  However the nurse today has said her poos look like the poos of a breastfeeding baby.  There is no blood or mucus.  YAY!!!!!


I drove to Hamilton on Friday for the first time.  I only had to half pump before feeding so she could get more milk. I have been fully pumping before feeding to regulate the amount of milk she has been getting.   Feeding went well.  I am very happy with her progress.  My first drive to Hamilton went well, After the hospital I went to the church to try and help out.  It was pick up day for Bailey's.  I wasn't much help but it really helps me to do something from my real life.  By the evening I had the chills.  By the time I got home I was shivering to the bone.  I got in bed with a hot water bottle and tried to sleep.  Turns out I had mastitis and man did I hurt.  I woke up and pumped every two hours to help clear the blocked milk duct that was causing me pain.  My fever broke through out the night.  I spent most of Saturday in bed resting until we went to the hospital to see little miss.


Saturday I was told I would not have to half pump any longer.  I still could only feed for fifteen minutes but she could have as much as she could during that time.  She fed well, I have no idea how much she actually got though.


Otis got to see his little sister for the first time in over a week.  He proclaimed Thursday evening that he really wanted his sister home so he could hold her and cuddle her.  He didn't want her to be in the Hospital anymore.  I told him she was getting better and that she would be coming back to Grand River Hospital soon.  He was happy with this. then we wont have to drive so far to see her.  This way he could visit her more.

Today I spent most of the day with Marlo.  We were able to feed together three times.  We started each feed by weighing her so we could see how much milk she was getting.  Her tube feeding is up to 35ml.  Her first feed with me she got 26ml based on her weight gain.  Although is is not exact it does help gauge progress.  She would have fed more if she was able to feed longer.  She was awake for almost two hours which made her tired for the second feed.  She got 18 ml the second feed.  She was ready to feed a bit earlier for the next feed being she didn't get her fill the last time around.  The six o'clock feed was awesome.  She was gulping away like crazy she would have to slow down and catch her breath.  The nurse was impressed she was able to handle the speed of the milk flow.  She only fed for ten minutes this time and was done.  Her weight gain said she had drank 34ml.  1 ml less then the feed she would have got from tube feeding.   The nurse said that this is a really good sign for home life.  When we are not on a hospital schedule and feeding whenever we need to.  ANOTHER YAY!!!!!


Did I just here the mention of HOME.  I think we are getting closer. 

No comments: