Thursday, April 07, 2011

Nonno

If you haven't noticed I have been gone awhile.  March disappeared.  I wish I could say in the blink of an eye but I would be lying.


I am very sad to say the reason I dropped off of the blog universe is that My Nonno passed away some what suddenly on March 9th.  I am not going to go into many details.  He had a stroke on the Monday morning and never woke up again.  Myself and my extended family on my dad's side sat vigil at the hospital for three days.  To support each other and especially my Nonna.




One week prior to his passing. my great aunt on the same side of the family passed away.  One good thing that came out of her passing, was that I had a chance to visit with my Nonno one last time.  Had she not passed away it would have been several months since I had seen him last.


 

It was amazing to spend a whole week with so much family.   Our family has not spent more then one day a year together in forever.  I got to know a lot about my cousins as adults not just the children who grew up playing together.  By the end of the week I was speaking more Italian then I had since I was a child.  I was even able to read a page out of my Nonno's little Italian bible.




For those who don't remember, I wrote about my grandparents beautiful garden last summer.  My Nonna seems like she will do fine on her own.  I hope.

This was Otis' first exposer to death.  He did very well and seemed to understand quite a bit about what was happening.  Just the other day he had a asked ma a couple of questions about Big Nonna but for the most part he seems fine with the hole experience.  Which was good.  I didn't want to make to big a deal about it.  I was afraid if we did it could scare him for many years.  Unfortunately he did end up at the hospital for a few minutes when we first got into town.  I didn't want to waste time dropping him off at my mom's.  He wasn't a big fan of all the machines and wire and didn't even come into the room.  I wonder how he will be when the baby is born.




Even though I lived through that whole week in March I still struggle to comprehend that My Nonno is gone.  He was a very fun and loving man.  You could never leave his house emptied handed.  I am glad he was able to live the life he wanted to the end and did not suffer for to long.




I love and will miss you Nonno.


No comments: