Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Halloween 2010 - Captain America - The Costume


With much deliberation and many weeks of decision he decided that he wanted to be Captain America.  Until I started making the costume that is.  Once he saw the final costume he was sold and was very excited to be Captain America.  I am so glad because he spent the better part of the weekend wearing the costume.

This was by far the busiest Halloween we have had yet.  To top it all off Rachael and I weren't thinking and put the pick up day the day after Halloween.  Not to self, don't do that again.  

Here was my costume inspiration:




I have never sewn a shirt before and made this one without a pattern.  I used one of Otis' larger shirts to use as a guide.  I took my time thinking through what the next step would be.  

Here is the Front, back and inside.




I made the shirt with a Velcro back so I can add a panel as he gets older if he is still wants to wear it for dress up.  I then moved onto the hat.  I crocheted a basic hat and once it was long enough added eye holes.  Then I glued on an "A" and freehand made wings to sew on.



I spent some time thinking about the shield.  I had to make durable enough to wear through all three days of Halloween plus the never ending  use I assumed it will get.



I used two discs of cardboard and made sure to glue each layer of the shield together.  I also added straps to have the shield act as a pack pack while Trick or treating.



Last but not least We needed a belt. and boots.  Both of which I whipped up last minute with out much thought.  



I ran out of felt for the boots.  I added elastic and made cuffs that looked like boots.  They worked. 



No comments: