Friday, July 30, 2010

Bread & Butter Pickles



My Mom and I canned almost two dozen jars of pickles and beans. There were Dill Pickles, Dilly Beans, Gherkins and Bread & Butter Pickles.  


The only ones we have been eating so far have been the bread and butter pickles.  They are really yummy.  I may have to make more.


They are really easy to make:


Easy Bread & Butter Pickles

  • Slice up 4 quarts of Cucumbers and 6 medium onions.  I left the rather thick.  
  • Mixed the Cucumbers and onions with 1/3 cup of salt.  Cover with ice and let sit over night (almost 24 hours).   
  • Add more ice before bed to keep them very cold.
  • Drain and rinse the mixture.
  • Make syrup and bring to boil.  (I tasted the syrup at this time and adjusted to my liking)
  • Add cucumber and onions and bring to boil again

  • Fill sterilized jars. Remove any air. Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Syrup:
2 3/4 Cups of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 Tablespoons mustard seed
3 Cups of white vinegar

No comments: