Friday, January 14, 2011

New Years Cherpumple

Photo Taken By: Owen Cherry

Happy belated New Years.  I am slowly making my way through all of the planned posts I have wanted to write.  We celebrated New Years this year with the annual turducken dinner.  For dessert I made a Cherpumple.  You can watch the video here.


Dave had been talking about wanting to make a cherpumple since we saw the video.  I woke up New Years Eve and decided it needed to get done.  



We went to the grocery store to get the ingredients and you would have thought the apocalypse was coming.  I have never seen so many people in the grocery store.  I could only imagine if the store were closed more then one day.  I was worried we may not find pies.  but just as we were about to leave I saw the pies out of the corner of my eye.


It took me 5 hours to make the cherpumple.  I had to put some skewers in to reinforce the cake so we could travel with it.  I think the whole thing weighed over 10 lbs including the heaviest cake plate we own of course.


By the time we cut into the thing I couldn't bring myself to even try it.  I was told though that there is something magical that happens when you bake a pie into a cake.  I wouldn't suggest that you jump in a make a three layer pie cake thingy but it would be worth it to make one pie in a cake.  


Here were the Pie Cake Combos:
1. Pumpkin pie in a white cake
2. Apple pie in a butter pecan cake
3. Cherry pie in a chocolate cake.


We rang in the New Year with a performance of Battlesnake's rendition of Mr Roboto.  Once Midnight had hit we went outside for Lindsey and Dave to finish the bottle of Champagne.  Thank goodness there were others to pitch in this year.  



I hope 2011 is good to everyone.  

1 comment:

Jon Johnson said...

I am so jealous that I missed this!!!

Have you seen epicmealtime? Look it up!

Also, exciting to see my trivet in the photos!