Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Cherries 2010


So is any one else hot?  It is really hard to do any canning in this heat.  I harvested the last of our rhubarb yesterday and made a Cordial for Rhubarb Soda.  Yes I have been boiling things.  But don't worry it has been on the BBQ.  


Last night I pick up 10lbs of local cherries from The Buying Club. I was up really late last night processing the fruit.  Here is the break down.

2 Small Freezer bags full
5 Pints of Cherries in Syrup
5 half Pints of Cherry Syrup
1 1/2 Cups of Pits

I have just discovered cherry pits hold heat well.  I have a few creative ideas floating around on what to do with them.  You will have to wait and see. So far I can tell you this:

How To clean Cherry Pits.
  1. Rinse them as you would pumpkin seeds
  2. Boil them  with some lemon juice to help breakdown the remain flesh
  3. Lay them in the sun to dry


Note: Otis labeled the Rhubarb Cordial.  

No comments: